The iStanton Weblog |


4.13.2006

But the music always gives me a lift..

Last night I got to see Elbow play at the Doug Fir in Portland. I've been listening to these guys for quite awhile now and I was pretty bummed to miss their last Portland appearance. I'm not even sure why I did, probably work. Anyway, I called Andria last night and was informed that the guys from the UK were playing and she was going. I rushed to get myself ready and ran down there to catch the show. This was my first show there as well. I'm not a huge fan of Portland's most popular hipster bar but I've heard good things about the music venue so I was anxious to go. The opening band wasn't really my cup of tea, his name was Richard Swift. But yeah, I was a good fan and sat through their set in anticipation of Elbow taking the stage. It was well worth the wait. Elbow's performance was way better than I expected and my expectations were already pretty high. I had a feeling that they would be pretty good live and they were just amazing. It's been quite awhile since I've seen a band that played together so well. They are all just solid musicians and you could tell that they've been working together for 14 years. Guy Garvey (what a rock star lead singer name huh?) was one of the most sincere and entertaining lead singers I've seen in a long time. Not to mention his ability to sing... So yeah, if you like sad love songs and awesome music you should go see them next time they come around, you wont be disappointed!