The iStanton Weblog |


8.16.2008

My Radiohead Gigography *UPDATED*

I've been a Radiohead fan since 1997 so I figured its about time I logged the shows that I've been to. I had it in my head that I'd gone to 9 already but I guess it's only 8 (now 10). I still feel like that's a pretty respectable number considering the frequency of their tours. I'm really looking forward to the two shows I'm attending next week, especially since it's been 4 years since I've last seen a show of theirs!

Here and the shows and some brief thoughts:

The Big Stink - 8/3/97 - My first RH show came in the form of a lame festival that NRK put on in Estacada Oregon. Originally I wasn't going to go cause Cake was the only band playing that I wanted to see. I had only recently gotten into OK Computer so when NRK announced that RH was joining the party I spent the $20 and went. I ended up missing Cake while I waited in line to get in but seeing RH play there was amazing. They only played a few songs but were definitely the highlight of the day for me. Candlebox headlined, I remember being a little pissed about that.

Salem Armory - 4/4/98
- Even though it was in the Armory this show was awesome. Every time I watch Meeting People Is Easy I think of this show. Sometimes I'm sad that I didn't get to see them when they were playing small clubs like La Luna, but now I feel fortunate to have seen them in the hay day of their OK Computer tour. The highlight of this show was them stopping in the middle of Exit Music to kick some DB out for crowd surfing. Instant respect!

The Gorge - 6/23/01 - I can't remember for sure but I think this may have been my first show at the Gorge. A bunch of us got together and planned a camping/road trip for this and the next show up in BC. Aside from the company of my best friends highlights included hearing the first version of Reckoner for the 1st and only time until this recent tour, and of course the band opening with National Anthem. We all knew it was going to happen but it was awesome nonetheless.

Vancouver BC - 6/24/01 - For some reason I can't remember a lot about this show :) I do remember having an amazing time and getting to see Talk Show Host and Nude (this used to be a really big deal) live. I always have a good time in BC and I'm looking forward to re-visiting the scene in a few days!

Hollywood Bowl - 8/20/01 - I had always heard great things about the Hollywood Bowl so I figured why not go see my favorite band play there. A friend and I splurged on $100 tickets off eBay and flew down to California for the show. I think this was the first and only time I've seen Pearly* and also True Love Waits. Rumor has it that Edward Norton and Brad Pitt were in attendance, along with countless other celebrities I'm sure.

Red Rocks - 8/23/03 - Ever since I first saw the Sunday Bloody Sunday video on MTV I've wanted to go to Red Rocks. This is by far one of the coolest and most unique places to see a show. My favorite thing about this one was hearing Subterranean Homesick Alien live. It gave me the chills. Ryan saw Jack Johnson walk past, apparently he likes a little RH now and again too.

Shoreline - 9/23/03 - I love me some 2 + 2 = 5. Shoreline sucks but of course the show was awesome.

Coachella - 05/01/04 - This was my worst RH experience ever. The band was fine but the environment has left a bad taste in my mouth when it comes to festivals. Coachella sucks! I spent close to $40 on water and it was probably 110 degrees all day long. The cool thing about this day was seeing the Pixies open for RH but other than that, and seeing them play again, I was pretty miserable.

Vancouver BC - 08/19/08 - It took us about 2 hours to drive the 10 miles from our condo to Thunderbird Stadium but once we finally go there everything was great. Radiohead came on shortly after we arrived and played an awesome set. This was my first time hearing In Rainbows and I was quite impressed. I feel like you never know how well the music is going to translate live but they always exceed my expectations. Some of the highlights included Weird Fishes, National Anthem, Just & Planet Telex (lights were crazy for this song), Reckoner and 2+2=5.. The rain started almost as soon as the band started playing and got progressively worse as the night went on. This was the first time I've been to a show in the pouring rain but it almost made it a little more fun. Awesome show!

Auburn, WA - 08/20/08 - I didn't have high expectations for this venue but it turned out to be a pretty great place. It was raining again but our seats were covered so that made it a little more enjoyable. We were also further back, which normally isn't a good thing but this allowed us to really take in the full scope of their light show. Thom came out in red pants so I figured it was going to be a good night. They did a good job of mixing things up with the set list. We got to see Climbing Up The Walls, Idioteque, Lucky, The Pyramid Song and In Limbo! I was pretty excited about that. They always play Morning Bell so it was nice to see this one get some love. They also brought out Nigel on the tambourine for this song. This was a first for any RH show I've ever been to, I've never seen them bring anyone out there with them and it was especially cool for that person to be Nigel Godrich

Both shows were awesome and complimented each other very well. I'm really glad I got to go to two shows in a row! Now I want more!